Wednesday, June 13, 2012

HUSH HUSH REVIEW



Nora Grey is responsible and smart and not inclined to be reckless. Her first mistake was falling for Patch. .
Patch has made countless mistakes and has a past that could be called anything but harmless. The best thing he ever did was fall for Nora. .
After getting paired together in biology, all Nora wants to do is stay away from Patch, but he always seems to be two steps ahead of her. She can feel his eyes on her even when he is nowhere around. She feels him nearby even when she is alone in her bedroom. And when her attraction can be denied no longer, she learns the secret about who Patch is and what led him to her, as well as the dark path he is about to lead her down. Despite all the questions she has about his past, in the end, there may be only one question they can ask each other: How far are you willing to fall?.





When I finished reading Hush, Hush, I had to about what I really thought about it, and what really happened in the story.  I am still not sure what I think about it, I may reread it to see if I can make some sense out of it.   I am absolutely in love with the cover.  I love falling angels, I wasn't too sure about the book from the blurb on the back, but I would give it a try.  But I had a suspicion that they had to be hiding something.  And I think I am right.  Many people love this book but I am still have doubts about this book so thus I am not sure about finishing the series.  Inside was the most confused, schizophrenic piece of writing I have read in a long time.  Don't get me wrong that type of writing can work; I have read great pieces that people that felt was schizophrenic, but this one is not working.  Fitzpatrick didn't seem to know quite what she wanted; only that it had to be Ominous and Scary and Dangerous -- and Titillating, of course, and Mysterious and Sexy.  So with those buzz words in mind, she threw a bunch of things together and let her narrator, Nora, sort them out. Nora had some trouble with this, and the result is a thoroughly frustrating heroine who jumps to insane conclusions based on evidence one moment, and then heads into dangerous situations in the next.  Patch is intriguing, and perhaps the most consistent of the characters in this book and I was fully prepared for an 'anti-hero as the hero' story.  I love a hero that is boundary-pushing and a not entirely likeable or trustworthy, who may or may not redeem himself, but who gives you the bad boy vibe, that I for one love.  For the most part, Patch wasn't too much of a let-down in this regard, and as screwed up as it is to like him, he was the stand-out character for me. (Not to say I didn't have issues with him as well but he was the best of the worst.)  But it wasn't enough.  Patch's bad boy antics couldn't save this book from itself.  It was self-indulgent and a whole lot of other things (cheesy comes to mind) in the worst sense, and worst of all confusing for the reader.  I wanted to like it; I loved stories with fallen angels (so much in fact I am just now trying to write one myself but it is slow moving), the idea of an anti-hero (I love bad boys), but it just didn’t work for me, it didn’t make me love the characters,’ if you don’t cry when writing it, then your readers won’t cry’.  So to say.   And this reader wasn’t crying (or anything else for that matter.)  But Hush, Hush suffered from too many villains and too much shock and awe, and not enough thought and follow-through.  Maybe Fitzpatrick can pull it together for round two, but I have a lot of doubt and I am not going to waste $10 for book two to give her a second chance.  I will take that money and use it to buy books from indie authors; they don’t tend to let me down.






No comments:

Post a Comment