Sunday, December 30, 2018

Decision: A Flash Fiction Story


Decision
Katherine Rochholz
Copyright 2018 All Rights Reserved
Flash Fiction Story



            I sit and sip upon my only margarita of the night. I smile as the tempo of the music changes into a classic rock song about a boy who killed another and now had a gang after his life. Truthfully, I never thought I would be here, after all my mother tried to stonewall me, to preventing this, to prevent my dreams of coming true.
            Everybody has a story, about what their parents expected from them. Mine? My story is just the opposite of normal. Well, not really, just what my mother wanted for me.
            I was always a plain girl so when the popular boy showed interest in me, I thought I had died and gone to paradise. Needless to say, he just wanted the claim of taking my virginity. Well, I got pregnant. My mother wanted me to work at the diner, raise the child, become a wife, give up college. She refused to help me as I left for college. I made my choice, no matter the roadblocks, the loans, the challenges, I fought, and I won.
            Tonight is the night before my medical school graduation. I smile at the eighties themed birthday party my seven year old son wanted. It was obscene the amount of eighties music my son adored, but he was happy. I was happy.
            And in six weeks I would be a surgical intern at one of the best teaching hospitals in the world; but the best thing I have ever done in my life, was keep my son and leave my mother’s house, making it on my own. After all, this life, it is my story to write.



No comments:

Post a Comment