Monday, December 17, 2012

Twelve Unlikely Heroes John F. MacArthur Review

Twelve Unlikely Heroes: How God Commissioned Unexpected People in the Bible and What He Wants to Do with YouTwelve Unlikely Heroes: How God Commissioned Unexpected People in the Bible and What He Wants to Do with You by John F. MacArthur

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


"What kind of people does God use to accomplish His work?"

Far from the children's tales depicted in picture books and nursery rhymes, the men and women highlighted in the Bible were unnervingly real. They faltered. They struggled. And at times, they fell short. Yet God worked through them in surprising and incredible ways to accomplish His purposes. Scripture does not hide their weaknesses, caricature their strengths, or spin their stories as a display of human nobility. Instead, it describes these heroes of the faith with unflinching honesty and delivers an unexpected ending: "God is not ashamed to be called their God" (Hebrews 11:16).

In "Twelve Unlikely Heroes," pastor and best-selling author John MacArthur uses his deep knowledge of the Bible and history to take us back to see these three-dimensional men and women in their own times and cultures. In doing so, it becomes clear how their dramatic stories apply to us today. People who might at first seem foreign quickly become familiar and unforgettable--particularly as they reveal the true Hero behind every witness, the power counterbalancing every weakness, "the Author and Finisher of "our faith" (Hebrews 12:1)."


I love when I can learn something from a book and this one doesn't disappoint!  I found out a lot about the twelve unlikely heroes of this book.  This is the first book I read of John MacArthur and was not disappointed in the book; however that being said there was something missing, can't quite put my finger on it but something left me wanting more from this book.  Though this is a good starting point for anybody wanting to know more about people that are spoken about in the bible, it would be just that a starting point.  This book took me longer than most to read, but it was very enlightening and informative. And this book encourages me to read his other works or to seek out more information about these twelve unlikely heroes.


*Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book for free and all opinions above are my own. I did not receive any other compensation for this review.*



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment