Friday, September 21, 2012

Author Interview with A.L. Burgos

My lovely short interview with A.L. Burgos!


First a bit about the book:

Title: Sec4rets
Author: A.L. Burgos


Blurb: 

     We all have secrets...
          Mark, Tiffany, Kevin and  Kim are best friends.  When they enter High School together they find out that it's not all fun and games, as they find out that drama is involved.  They must stick together to get through High School, but when they start to keep secrets from each other, ones that can tear them apart, their friendships will be tested as the secrets come out.
     So will their friendships survive...
     Or will their secrets be too much,
     And tear them apart?

     Let the secrets come out...


Can you tell us an interesting fact about you, your writing, or anything at all? Or, is there anything in particular you want the readers to know about you?

What I want readers to know about me is that I have been writing since I was about 10 years old. I used writing as a way to express my feelings. As I got older the writing was then used as a form of therapy for me when I was down. Writing to me is my life and it will always be a big part of me. My goal with my writing is to reach people in some way shape or form.

When you are working on a book, do you plan ahead, or do you let the story flow as you write?

I plan the story lines way ahead of me writing. I plan how I want it to start and how I want it to end. As I write some new things come to me and the chapters come to me. So I plan ahead for certain things and then other things come to me as I write.

Are any of your characters in your books based on people that you know in real life?

I feel like in some way Mark is a reflection of myself. Not everything he does is what I have done or would do but his journey as a gay character trying to come into his own is all me.

Do you have an interesting writing quirk? Maybe something that you have to do while writing, or something that you have to do before you start writing?

I always always always have to listen to music when I am writing. It helps me get my creative jucies flowing.

Why 4 main characters? Why name them the way you did?

I choose 4 just because I feel it was a great number of characters to use. I didn't want too many to the point where the reader got confused. Naming them was just me typing and BAM those were their names...LOL.

What are you currently working on?

I am currently working on book 2 to the series. I have so many ideas for book 2 and the drama is going to be even more intense.

What was the hardest part of writing your book?

Hardest part of writing my book was some the things I talked about. I tackle real teen issues and sometimes it made me cry or cringe. I hated writing some scenes in the book because I hate having to hurt characters but this is real life and I want to reach people with my writing. I want a teen to read it and go "Wow I went through that" and have it help them in the issues they are going through.

What is your favorite scene? Fave Character?

I have a lot of fav scenes. One that pops to my head is the final scene of the book between Mark and Tiffany. Cant say too much but it gets intense. I also love the Halloween Dance chapter (chapter 8) there is so much drama. My fave character right now is Henry, he is there to serve a purpose for one the main characters and he will do just that.

What books (or authors) have influenced you the most during your career?

I am a huge fan of Alex Sanchez. He writes gay teen books that tackle gay teen issues and I love him for putting some of those things out there. Check out his Rainbow Boy series. It was truly amazing. I also love Sara Shephard as well.

Find A.L. Burgos Online on facebook: Author Page A.L. Burgos



No comments:

Post a Comment